January 24, 2013

FOOD: WINTER BRUSCHETTA





























Even when it's really chilly out and the snow is slowly melting and almost decapitating you as it falls off of shop rooftops (yes Mr Sainsbury's, I'm talking to you), I STILL do not want a roast dinner. I'm sorry, and I know that I deserve to be carted away by the men in white coats for saying this out loud but I just don't like them. Christmas dinner? Fine, I'll carve a turkey nut roast with the best of them and if you're nice to me I'll even source out a really awesome way to make sprouts edible, but EVERY WEEK? No thanks. I'm just not a 'meat and two veg' kind of girl and I guess the ideal winter food for me would be.... um, tacos and well....tacos, but apparently man can not live on tacos alone (try me) so I had to find something else. I hit the jackpot when made this Winter Bruschetta at the weekend because it was gorgeous and so comforting and i recommend it 100%, if you're in the market for something crunchy, flavoursome and good for you (it is still January). Yes! This is the one for you...




For 4 you will need:
Recipe inspired by Vegetarian Ventures here

- 4 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled & diced into cubes
- 1 medium white onion, peeled & cut into chunks
- 3 cloves garlic - chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh sage - chopped
-  freshly grated Parmesan (remove to make vegan)
- 1 ciabatta loaf
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt & black pepper
- olive oil spray
- balsamic vinegar (optional)

And you will need to do this:


1. Pre-heat your oven to 200c / GM6 and in a large roasting tin, toss your sweet potato chunks with the onion, garlic and the olive oil. Sprinkle over 1 tbsp of fresh sage & season well with salt & pepper. Toss again to combine.
2. Place in the centre of the oven & roast for 25-30 minutes, shaking after the first 15 minutes. 
3. Once cooked remove from the oven let it cool slightly whilst you prepare the ciabatta.
4. In a shallow oven proof tin, lay your ciabatta slices out and spritz with olive oil spray. Toast on one side until golden brown.
5. Turn over & if you are using Parmesan, sprinkle over before you toast the other side. If not, just go ahead and toast!
6. Once toasted, top with your sweet potato and sage mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining fresh sage. Drizzle with some balsamic vinegar if you fancy (i did) and serve warm.
Best eaten snuggled up on the sofa watching 'Dancing on Ice' with your big kiddos ;) 

Enjoy x

No comments:

Post a Comment