October 03, 2012

FOOD: KALE AND RED CABBAGE SLAW


A year ago, someone told me to stop eating kale as apparently it would give my gallbladder a break (insert boring story about limited diet here) and because i generally believe any old crap people tell me, i did it. 
Yes, you read me right. I quit kale FOR A YEAR. Yes it deserves CAPS LOCK, it's a BIG DEAL.
Anyway, where am i going with this....? Oh yes, last week I fell off the wagon big time as it turns out that the said someone might actually be wrong & it maybe possible for me to have my kale & eat it (and not have to take hallucinogenic pain relievers an hour later) - hurrah!
So, one sprint to the farmers market later and a slightly adapted version of this kale slaw happened. 
I ate.
I smiled. 
All was right with the world once again.



So, for 4 servings you will need:
(recipe slightly adapted from Shutterbean here)
2 cups kale - shredded
2 cups red cabbage - shredded
1 carrot - peeled, then peeled into ribbons
1 apple - chopped
2 tbs red onion - chopped
1/4 cup  flat leaf parsley leaves - chopped
1 tsp sesame seeds - toasted
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1/2 lime - juice only

and you will need to do this:
1. First up, toast your sesame seeds in a dry pan over a medium heat. Toss occasionally until slightly browned, taking care not to let them burn. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl mix your kale, red cabbage & carrots.
3. Add your parsley 
 4. Add your red onions, mix & set aside.
5. It's (mega simple) dressing time! So mix your olive oil, dijon & cider vinegar. Whisk until well combined.
6. Drizzle your dressing over the kale mixture, season with your salt & mix well.
7. Toss in your toasted sesame seeds, squeeze the juice from your lime & mix again.... You're done

And there you have it, the best damn slaw there ever was. Top with avocado if you fancy & enjoy as often as possible!


I ate this outside enjoying the late warm lunches of Autumn. It was bliss!

3 comments:

  1. That looks amazing. I am making this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many people provide fresh diet regime food for your home daily. A person just have to enroll in this Diet Food Delivery as well as afterwards the organization will prepare yourself the meals for you personally.

    ReplyDelete