February 18, 2013

FOOD: PURPLE SKINNY SLAW


It happened. I found myself in a food rut. 

Yup, I'm in a big fat food rut & i hate it.

I just don't know what to make at the moment and all I seem to hear myself saying is "who fancies tacos tonight?!"
I blame the weather or the Winter more specifically. There is no love lost between me and this season and I get so tired of its cold and selfish demands for gravy based stodge. I don't want a plate of mash. I don't want a stew and I really don't want a roast dinner...

I need some sun.
I need some Spring! 
I need some inspiration.
I need to once again go crazy eating fresh, zingy salads or hot & spicy grilled foods. I want to stand around in other peoples gardens with a Corona in my hand and a big plate full of veggie burgers, salads and a good old slaw...

So, I went searching and I found me a brand spanking new slaw. Hurrah! It's similar to the one Sir J of O makes to go with his Happy Cow burgers, but I fancied a little green in mine so I added some coriander and a little seasoning into the mix. 
I really love this slaw as it's simple stuff, it's healthy and it was a big hit with the kiddos during half term. That's a lot of boxes it managed to tick and as an added bonus, it makes you feel like Spring is just around the corner and that is exactly how I want to be feeling right now...

Go on, get a spring in your step!

You will need:

- 1/2 red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/2 white cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
- 4 heaped tbsp fat free natural yogurt
- 1 heaped tsp wholegrain mustard
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper

And you will need to do this:
1. Combine your red cabbage, white cabbage and coriander in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.


2.  In a separate bowl, mix your yogurt and wholegrain mustard. Season & stir well.
3. Pour the yogurt dressing over the cabbage mixture & stir gently to fully combine.
4. Serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment