October 28, 2012

FOOD: BAKED AUBERGINE W/ CHICKPEAS AND GREEN CHILLI

The clocks went back last night which means that today will be spent in a sleep deprived haze. Dexter was up at 4am.... yes I did just say, 4 f-ing am. I mean, who does that on a Sunday? Urgh! 
Yes, already it's pretty plain to see that today isn't going to be one of the best. It's raining out, we have little more than a Supermarket trip planned & India has a stinker of a cold. But, at least we will have something nice to eat, right? Yes, totally, because tonight we are having this awesome baked aubergine dish that I found in Bill Granger's Easy book. 
Now, to be honest my (albeit fuzzy) mind doesn't naturally want to put chickpeas and aubergines in the same dish. In fact, i probably wouldn't have ever cooked this dish if I'd thought about it a little more, but I am SO glad I did. Now, this will forever signify the start of the winter season for me. You know, the sodding rain the crisp sunny mornings, the frozen nights the fire roaring in the front room, those stupid adult hats with animal faces on the cosy hats & gloves, and now.... this dish.
I urge you to make this asap because lets face it, winter can be a little bit rubbish at times and this will cheer it up in a big way. Unless you don't like aubergines, and then I can't help you today because I'm just too dang tired...



So, for 4-6 you will need:

3 aubergines, cut lengthways into 1cm thick slices
4 tablespoons of olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced / finely chopped
1 tablespoon of grated ginger
1 green chilli, finely diced
2 tsps of paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
400g tin chopped tomatoes
400g tin chickpeas, drained
2 tbsps pomegranate molasses (or 1 tbsp of brown sugar mixed with 1tbsp fresh lemon juice) - this is what i did
1 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
1 tbsp chopped mint
2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
Sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Crumbled feta cheese to serve (optional)

And you will need to do this:
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees C / gm4 
2. Sprinkle your aubergine slices with sea salt and set aside in a colander - leave for 20 mins then drain, rinse & pat dry with kitchen paper.
3. If you are not using pomegranate molasses, mix up your brown sugar with the lemon juice in a small bowl until the sugar has mostly dissolved - set aside.
4. When your aubergines are ready to cook, heat two large frying pans over a medium-high heat. Lightly brush each slice on both sides with olive oil, and add a single layer to each pan.
5. Fry for 4-6 minutes on each side until well browned. Set aside & continue with the next batch.
6. Lay half of the aubergine slices in a medium casserole dish, keeping the others aside.
7. Return one of your pans to to the heat with 1 tbsp of olive oil & add the onion, garlic, ginger, chilli, paprika & cumin. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is soft & translucent.
8. Add your chopped tomatoes, chickpeas and your molasses / lemon juice + sugar combi. Mix well & season.
9. Pour half of the tomato & chickpea mixture over the aubergine slices in the casserole dish. Cover with the remaining aubergine slices & then pour over the remaining mixture. 
10. Place on the middle shelf of your oven & bake for 15 minutes.
11. When the 15 minutes are up, remove from the oven & dress with your chopped mint, chopped parsley, pomegranate seeds & a sprinkling of sea salt. 
12. Serve! (with some feta if you're feeling fancy...)
Now, please tell me it's time for bed? No? Then where the hell is my onesie? Joke - I am an ADULT...

8 comments:

  1. This looks AWESOME! Sorry you are so tired and your boy got you up at 4am, but I am grateful for this recipe and will be cooking it this week for sure. Hope you get some sleep this week!
    S xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! It's lovely, hope you enjoy it! I'm even more exhausted today lol - this clock change has really affected us all this year! x

      Delete
    2. Thought I'd pop back and say it was very good - loved the pomegranate on top. Will be making it again!

      Delete
    3. Good to hear! I think i'm going to make it again this week... mmmmm

      Delete
  2. Ooh, LIKE! Looks so delicious.

    You asked about those art classes I blogged about a while back... they are starting up again this Friday 2 November. Have a look here:
    http://www.letsmakeart.co.uk
    and here:
    http://www.netmums.com/bristol/local/view/whats-on/november/let-s-make-art-classes-for-pre-school-children

    Come along! Let's meet!

    Lx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo that would be ace! I can't open the links for some reason, but will have a gander tonight :)

      xx

      Delete
  3. My doctor recently advised me to increase my vegetable and fruit intake to improve my sleep cycles. Good thing I’ve read your blog, I will definitely try your recipe at home!

    ReplyDelete